Monday, July 1, 2013

Fits in an Archaeology Museum how exactly?

Safranbolu has a museum that includes archaeological exhibits.  When we hit the first room, this is what we saw:
Really????
Seriously???


Ok, this is kind of fun becuase I used to work recording and editing quarter inch tape like this back in the day when I was a Sound Engineer in London.  Then it was called reel-to-reel tape - now it's called real tape because there is no tape anymore - everything is digital.  I got rid of all my old show reels, but I still have my splicing block.  I can't quite give that up.

thin square things for preserving information now old and unusable
The students, who weren't terribly keen to explore a local museum, suddenly came alive.  "My dad used to have one of those!"  "My dad still has one of those!"  "What are those thin square things for?" etc.

One of the older students declared that he still remembers when there was no internet and the general response was "Really?  Cool!"

Eric and I looked at each other and laughed ruefully.  Then we got into it as well and identified our old computer dinosaurs too before moving on to exhibits of Ottoman furniture, old Turksih clothing and ancient coins.  But clearly the computer room was the hit of the place.  My one remaining question is: How the heck did such an exhibit get into a small town museum in Turkey?








No comments:

Post a Comment