Thursday, May 23, 2013

Ottoman Anyone?

It is one week before I fly to Turkey and I am readying myself mind and body.

I have acquired 2 guidebooks.  The first one was chosen with great deliberation. I will not be requiring information about accomodations on this trip but I will need a smattering of history and language in amongst broad outlines of cities and towns, a well as eating and shopping recommendations.  Of greatest interest to me on this trip are cultural reference points, which is why I chose the Eyewitness guide:
I like the way museums and places of interest are handled by this series of guides, and their photos and diagrams.

The other book I inherited. The married man I am travelling with while my husband stays home (settle down - he's bringing his students as well) recommended this incredibly detailed book.  In fact, he said, said Eric, I have a new one and can let you have my old, dog-eared one from 1972. There is nothing I love more than a well-loved, well-used but still relevant book about somewhere far away!

 
 
I probably don't need to have any actual guide books at all in this day of ebooks, but I have never travelled without one, and for some reason I am willing to accept their bulk, and even to bring them home long after their use is spent.
 
Oh, and the body preparation I referred to at the beginning?  Today I took my booster Dukoral vaccine for Cholera and Travellers' Diarrhea!  

No comments:

Post a Comment